Sound Walk Sunday is a global community event, celebrating outdoor audio, geo-located, immersive performances, sound walks and audio-enhanced walking pieces, and is organized by the Museum of Walking in a collaboration with Made of Walking, and institutional and academic partners worldwide.
What is a sound walk
A sound walk, or walking piece, is any walk that focuses on listening to the environment, with or without use of technology, or adds to the experience through the use of sound or voice. This can include a scripted or choreographed score or work that has additional audio elements.
Sound Walk Sunday was inaugurated at the Made of Walking International Encounters at La Romieu, France on the 27 August, 2017, leading to a first map and directory of sound walks around the world, maintained and updated till today.
Sound Walk Sunday 2019 and the week following will see the inauguration of new sound walks, submitted in response to this open call, or created in the run up to Sound Walk Sunday. On Sound Walk Sunday we encourage, host and organize events related to sound walking worldwide, complemented with curated activities in hub cities including London, Sao Paulo and Melbourne and, we hope, with more to follow.
- The Museum of Walking will maintain a public archive of sound walks in an online directory.
- Sound Walk Sunday will facilitate a worldwide network of creatives, institutions and museums to share practices and knowledge around sound walks and walking pieces, by inviting and involving individuals and institution as partners of SWS as a platform for sharing practices and knowledge.
- Sound Walk Sunday will bring together a collaborative resource of educative materials, that will be available to the public, allowing broad groups of people to create their own sound walks.
The next edition of Sound Walk Sunday will happen on Sunday September 1st, 2019 and the week following.
We call on the creation of sound walks and walking pieces. We invite all interested in exploring the impact and possibilities of sound walking to submit existing and new work.
- We call on the submissions of existing sound walks and walking pieces via the on-line form here, to be included in the Sound Walk Sunday map and directory.
- We call on the creation of new walking pieces and sound walks around the world, to be realized in the weekend of Sound Walk Sunday, September 1st, 2019 and the week after. Apply here.
- We call on the organization of sound walk and walking piece related workshops around the world, to be realized in the weekend of Sound Walk Sunday, September 1st, 2019 and the week after.
To be included in our programme we expect you to send us, by email, the title, keywords, names of the artists/collaborators with 50 words biographical data each, 300 words description of the workshop, a weblink (if available), duration, start point/location, date and time of activity and possible repeat workshops afterwards, previous knowledge necessary/level of the activity, restrictions for certain groups/ages, contact information for the public to register for the workshop and a relevant image. All text needs to be sent in an editable format. Your application needs to be sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
Illustrations of workshops you find in the FAQ section.
Open to everyone for instance: creatives, artists, sound artists, musicians, poets, architects, performers, designers, anthropologists, writers, wellness professionals, cultural and social professionals, educators, teachers, students, 16 years and over, interested to explore the impact and possibilities of sound walking.
Sunday 16 June 2019 to be included in media releases however, submission can continue until the Sunday 18th August 2019.
Sound Walk Sunday is brought together by a core group who are contributing their time and experience voluntarily. We are looking at ways of making Sound Walk Sunday financially sustainable, including grant applications, sponsorship and donations in kind through partnerships with institutions. However, you too can help our cause by making a donation when you make a submission.
Declaration on submission
Entrants declare that the work submitted is their own and that its rights have not been transferred to third parties. Entrants assume all liability for any claim or demand by third parties, administrative, judicial or of other nature, concerning intellectual property or rights of the submitted work. Submission implies that entrants hold all necessary rights to perform and publish the entered work, and are authorized to grant and does hereby grant said rights to Sound Walk Sunday, for exhibition and publication by Sound Walk Sunday.
Entrants grant the sound clips of their work, for promotional purposes of Sound Walk Sunday, to be broadcast in any media, and the publications of the submitted images, in online or print form. This rights assignment to Sound Walk Sunday will not imply, for the entrant, in any form whatsoever, loss of copyright of the submitted work.
Safety is of the utmost importance. Please do not suggest routes that are hazardous or include commentary that is defamatory or misleading.
More information and questions
Visit our FAQ and the Museum of Walking website